Sure, you have heard the importance of diet and exercise on your overall health and well-being, but maybe you need more information as to why that is important. It has been touted for years that exercising 30 minutes 3 times a week will help you stay healthy. So what does that have to do with the gym?
Here are the top 10 reasons you should go to the gym:
- Going to the gym will give you a dedicated place to work out. You will not be interrupted by a thousand distractions like you would at home, keeping you focused on the task at hand.
- You will never be bored. Because there is so much equipment to use at the gym, you can change up your routine on a regular basis. This will not only keep you from being bored, but exercise variety will help you get into shape and stay that way.
- There are a variety of things you can do at the gym. A gym will have more equipment than you could ever have when you are at your own home. This lets you work out in a variety of ways and help sculpt your body and muscles.
- It can give you unconscious competition. Working out where everyone is working out is motivating. You will want to run on the treadmill if the person next to you is doing it. You can throw in an extra pushup if the person next to you is doing a bunch.
- Group classes are fun. Most gyms will offer group classes that can get you moving. Group classes often include spinning classes, Zumba, yoga, weight training, and so much more. Then you are working out in a controlled setting with other people and it can be a lot of home.
- There are personal trainers there. If you are having trouble losing weight, you could hire a personal trainer to get you on a workout schedule that works well for where you are in your physical health as well as what your workout goals are. And they will know exactly how to use all of the equipment at the gym so you will learn how to maximize your workout experience.
- The weather is not a never an excuse for not working out. If you are an outdoor runner, having a gym pass will eliminate the excuse that the weather is too poor to work out. Now you don’t have a good reason to not make it to the gym.
- There is usually child watch at the gym. This is especially good for parents with small children who have a hard time getting to the gym. Most gyms offer a daycare service on site so while you are working out or taking a class, your kids are cared for and having a blast playing. They can enjoy the gym too.
- You will not regret working out. Seriously think about it. While sometimes it may be hard to get your butt in gear to get to the gym, once you have worked out, you feel so much better than you did when you were dragging your feet. You never hear people say, “I really shouldn’t have gone to the gym today,” but you do hear, “I should have gone to the gym today.”
- Exercise is good for you. I know this seems obvious, but it really has to be said. There is truly nothing better than diet and exercise to keep your body running well and staying healthy. Having a solid exercise routine and schedule will keep your body running for years to come, lowering your risks for things like heart disease and diabetes while warding off the risks associated with being overweight. And it is a natural anti-depressant.